Beginning-of-Year Math Intervention Assessments: What I Look For & Why It Matters
The beginning of the school year can be busy. There are schedules to create, students to get to know, materials to organize, and intervention groups to plan. When students need math intervention, it can be tempting to jump right into instruction as quickly as possible.
However, I have found that spending just 15–20 minutes learning how a student thinks about mathematics can save countless hours of ineffective instruction later.
Before I begin intervention lessons, I want to understand what students already know, what strategies they are using, and where their mathematical understanding begins to break down.
As a math intervention teacher, I assess my Tier 2 and Tier 3 students in grades K–4 individually. Depending on the student, I may complete the assessment in one sitting or split it into two shorter sessions. The goal is not to overwhelm students with a long assessment. The goal is to gather enough information to determine the best place to begin instruction.
Why Beginning-of-Year Math Assessment Matters
Math intervention should not be based on guessing. A student may be in third grade, but that does not necessarily mean that third-grade instruction is where the intervention should begin.
A student may be struggling with multiplication because they have not developed efficient addition strategies. Another student may struggle with multi-digit addition because of gaps in place value understanding. If we only look at the skill a student is currently struggling with, we may miss the underlying reason for the difficulty.
A beginning-of-year assessment helps determine:
- Where instruction should begin
- Which skills a student already understands
- Which skills need additional support
- What strategies a student is using
- A baseline for measuring future growth
It also helps prevent students from spending valuable intervention time practicing skills that are either too easy or too difficult. Effective intervention should be appropriately challenging. Students need opportunities to experience success, but they also need instruction that addresses the specific skills preventing them from moving forward.
What Skills Do I Assess First?
I don't begin by giving every student the same long list of grade-level questions. Instead, I use a progression that begins with foundational number concepts and gradually moves toward more advanced computation and reasoning.
The screener is organized into eight main areas:
- Early Numeracy: Words, Symbols, and Quantities
- Addition & Subtraction: Counting-Based Strategies
- Addition & Subtraction to 10: Strategies and Basic Facts
- Addition & Subtraction to 20: Strategies and Basic Facts
- Place Value: Counting Involving Base-10 Units
- Addition & Subtraction to 100: Mental Strategies
- Multiplication & Division: Counting-Based Strategies
- Multiplication & Division: Strategies and Basic Facts
The assessment begins with early numeracy skills, including counting, identifying numerals, recognizing quantities, comparing quantities, and working with collections. These skills provide important information about a student's understanding of numbers before moving into more advanced computation.
From there, I look at how students approach addition and subtraction. This progression begins with counting-based strategies and gradually moves toward addition and subtraction within 10 and 20. I am not only looking at whether students can find the correct answer. I am also paying attention to the strategies they use to solve the problem.
The assessment then moves into place value and mental computation. This includes counting flexibly by ones, tens, and hundreds, thinking about 10 more or 10 less, and using increasingly advanced mental strategies to solve addition and subtraction problems.
Finally, I look at multiplication and division. Students first work with equal groups, equal shares, skip-counting, and basic counting-based strategies. The assessment then progresses toward multiplication and division strategies, basic facts, and more advanced multiplicative reasoning.
This progression helps me identify where a student's understanding begins to break down. A student may be in fourth grade, for example, but that does not necessarily mean the best place to begin intervention is with fourth-grade content. If the assessment reveals a significant gap in early numeracy, counting strategies, place value, or basic fact development, that information helps me determine the most appropriate starting point for instruction.
I also do not necessarily administer every question to every student. Once I have gathered enough information to identify an area of need, I can stop the assessment rather than continuing to give questions that are no longer necessary for making an instructional decision.
This makes the assessment more efficient for both the teacher and the student. The goal is not to see how many questions a student can complete. The goal is to gather enough information to answer an important question:
Where does this student need instruction to begin?
Looking Beyond Correct Answers
This is one of the most important parts of the assessment process. I am not simply recording whether a student answered a question correctly or incorrectly. I am also watching and listening.
I pay attention to:
- How long a student takes to respond
- Hesitation before solving
- Whether the student counts
- Whether the student uses fingers
- Whether the student can explain their thinking
- Whether the student can use more than one strategy
- Whether the student can mentally manipulate numbers
A student may answer a question correctly, but that does not always mean the student has developed strong mathematical understanding.
For example, imagine asking three students to solve:
8 + 7
All three students answer 15.
The first student immediately responds and explains, “I know 8 and 2 makes 10, and then I need 5 more. So 15.”
Another student might explain, "I know 7 and 7 makes 14, and then I need 1 more. So 15"
The second student counts, “9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15.”
All of the students got the correct answer.
However, they are demonstrating different levels of understanding and efficiency.
This is why I ask questions such as:
“How do you know?”
and
“Tell me more.”
These questions can reveal a great deal about how students are thinking.
A student who can explain their strategy and use numbers flexibly may be ready for more advanced instruction.
A student who is relying on inefficient counting strategies may need additional support with number relationships and more efficient ways to solve. The correct answer is important. But the strategy behind the correct answer is often just as important.
Identifying Number Sense Gaps
One of the main purposes of the assessment is to identify gaps in number sense. These gaps can have a significant impact on future mathematical learning. Some examples include:
Counting All Instead of Counting On
A student solving 5 + 3 may count every object beginning at 1 rather than starting with 5 and counting on three more.
This strategy may work with small numbers, but it becomes increasingly inefficient as numbers grow.
Difficulty Recognizing Quantities
A student may need to count objects one at a time rather than quickly recognizing a small quantity. This can make future work with addition, subtraction, and place value more difficult.
Weak Understanding of Part-Part-Whole Relationships
Students need to understand that numbers can be broken apart and recombined in different ways.
For example:
8 can be 5 and 3.
10 can be 6 and 4.
These relationships become important for addition, subtraction, mental math, and eventually more advanced mathematics.
Slow Recall of Basic Facts
A student may eventually arrive at the correct answer but require significant time or rely on inefficient counting strategies. This can make more complex mathematical tasks difficult because so much mental energy is being used on basic calculations.
Trouble Mentally Manipulating Numbers
Students need to be able to think about numbers without always relying on physical objects or written calculations.
For example, can a student solve:
38 + 10
mentally?
Can they explain what happens when 10 is added to a number? Can they mentally break apart and recombine numbers? These skills are important as students move toward more advanced mathematics.
Identifying these gaps is important because students cannot always successfully move forward simply by practicing the next skill in the sequence. Sometimes, we need to go back and strengthen the foundation first.
Using Assessment Results to Plan Instruction
Once I have gathered enough information to identify an area of need, I can begin planning intervention. I do not necessarily need to administer every question on the assessment to every student.
For example, if a student demonstrates difficulty with several early addition and subtraction tasks, continues to rely on counting all, and struggles to explain number relationships, I may already have enough information to determine where instruction should begin.
The next step is to use this information to plan targeted intervention.
Students with similar instructional needs can then be grouped together, and lessons can be selected to address the specific skills they need to develop.
I will discuss how I use assessment information to group students for math intervention in my next blog post. The assessment is only the beginning. The real goal is to use what we learn to make better instructional decisions.
A Beginning-of-Year Assessment Is a Starting Point
Beginning-of-year assessments are not about finding everything a student cannot do. They are about discovering the most effective place to begin instruction. A student may have gaps in their mathematical understanding, but those gaps provide valuable information. They tell us what to teach next.
Instead of asking:
“Why can't this student do this grade-level skill?”
we can begin asking:
“What understanding does this student need next?”
That change in perspective can make intervention more targeted and more effective. A few minutes spent learning how a student thinks can help prevent weeks or months of instruction that does not address the student's actual needs. The goal is not to find everything wrong. The goal is to find the next step.
Beginning-of-Year Math Intervention Screener
If you're looking for a ready-to-use assessment that follows this same process, I've created a K-4 Math Screener & Progress Monitoring that I use with my own Tier 2 and Tier 3 students.
The screener walks through foundational math skills in a logical progression and helps identify where instruction should begin.
It can provide useful information about students' early numeracy, addition and subtraction strategies, place value understanding, mental computation, and multiplication and division skills.
The assessment is designed to help you look beyond whether a student simply gets an answer correct. It provides opportunities to observe the strategies students use, the skills they demonstrate automatically, and the areas where additional support may be needed.
Rather than simply giving you a score, the goal is to help you better understand the mathematical thinking behind the student's answers.
You can find the K-4 Math Screener & Progress Monitoring in my TeachersPayTeachers store if you would like to learn more or see whether it would be a good fit for your intervention program.
Assess to understand. Teach with purpose. Monitor growth.
When we take the time to understand how students think about mathematics, we can provide intervention that is more targeted, more efficient, and more responsive to their individual needs.
Comments
Post a Comment